Thanks to the recent announcement on the partial-easing of overseas travel restrictions, the possibility of getting away on holiday is giving us hope that we might get away this summer after all! Whether you’re keeping your fingers crossed for the chance of an overseas trip, or are setting your sights closer to home with a staycation, it’s important to ensure your home is adequately protected against burglary.
The single most effective way to do this is by making sure home looks occupied, even though it’s empty. This can be easier than it sounds and by using a number of effective strategies, you’ll be able to deter thieves from attempting to break into your home. Here are some of our top tips on how to make your home look occupied when you’re away on holiday:
- Make sure you have adequate security systems in place, such as a working burglar alarm with bell boxes which are clearly visible from both the front and back of your home.
- Install smart lighting or use timer switches to programme lights and lamps to switch on when it gets dark.
- If your post is visible through the front door, ask a neighbour or friend to move it so it’s out of sight. Alternatively, Royal Mail offers a service where, for a small fee, they will keep your post for you whilst you’re away, delivering it one batch when you return.
- Mow the lawn and cut back any overgrown hedges, shrubs or bushes. Not only does this ensure your home looks well cared for and occupied, it also helps to prevent burglars from having somewhere to hide.
- Don’t forget to cancel the milk as there’s nothing like a collection of milk bottles on the doorstep to advertise the fact that you’re away!
- Last and by no means least, for high effective, 24/7 security, why not consider a CCTV system?
Get in touch with FirstEye
If you would like to find out more about using security systems to protect your home, get in touch with FirstEye. We offer a wide range of cost-effective security solutions, with options to suit all budgets and requirements, including CCTV, security alarms, security lighting and smart doorbells.
Contacting us is easy: simply call 0113 228 8599 or email firstname.lastname@example.org