Security advice from FirstEye – the security installation specialists in Leeds
Following on from last week’s post, this week we’re going to focus upon what burglars are looking for and how to keep your valuables safe.
If the worst happens and a burglar manages to get into your home, the chances are they’ll want to steal as much as they can and then get away as quickly as possible. This is why small items such as jewellery and cash, or small electrical items such as mobile phones or laptops tend to be stolen the most. In addition, they might also be tempted to search your personal paperwork.
So what can you do to make it as hard as possible for them to find what they want? Here are a few ideas on how to beat the burglars and protect your valuables:
- Never leave valuable items in sight of windows or exterior doors.
- Don’t leave large suitcases or bags lying around: thieves use these to carry away as much as possible.
- Don’t leave spare keys lying around or all your keys in one place. Burglars often look for spare keys so don’t label yours, or any spare keys you keep for your neighbours.
- The best way to protect small items is to install a safe that’s fixed to a floor. Safes which aren’t fixed to the floor can be picked up and dropped to open them.
- The next best thing to a safe is your loft. If you have valuables you don’t use or wear, keeping them in the loft is a great way to protect them as a burglar is unlikely to risk going up there.
- There’s a misconception that hiding things in strange places is a good idea. However, a burglar will look for anything unusual and will try to uncover valuables by searching under the bed, inside drawers and even inside your sofa or mattress. In addition, this can make it more difficult to check what’s missing if the worst happens.
Protect your property with a security alarm installed by FirstEye
When it comes to burglary prevention is always better than a cure. Installing a security alarm is the best way to prevent burglary, providing a highly visible deterrent that will put off most thieves. Here at FirstEye we install residential alarm systems for homes of all sizes. To find out more about how we can help you give your home the protection it deserves, get in touch by calling 0113 228 8599 or email email@example.com