Security systems installed in Leeds by FirstEye
October is National Home Security Month and we thought we’d help you make the most of it by focusing on a different aspect of home security over the next four weeks. National Home Security Month aims to increase awareness of the importance of home security and when you consider a burglary happens in the UK approximately every 40 seconds, it’s vital that awareness is increased.
Over 200,000 burglaries were carried out during the summer of 2017 alone and as more of us go on holiday and leave our homes unoccupied, the chances of being burgled increase. There’s also been an increase in thefts from outbuildings and garages as these are often used to store valuable items such as bikes and power tools. So what can you do to protect your home and possessions?
Home security advice from FirstEye
This week we’re going to focus on general home security, followed by security alarms, CCTV and wireless doorbells over each of the following three weeks.
Home security is incredibly important and whilst it’s vital that you have a range of security systems in place, such as an alarm, for example, there are lots of simple things you can do to improve the general security of your home:
- Keep doors and windows locked: although this sounds like simple advice, you’d be surprised how many opportune thieves are able to enter a property through an unlocked door. Keep doors locked even when you’re in and make sure car keys etc. are stored out of sight.
- Fitting timer switches to lamps, TVs and radios is a great way to help your home look occupied whilst you’re out, whilst asking a neighbour to remove post from by the front door is another effective way to deter thieves.
- An overgrown garden or large trees and shrubs offer places to hide so take a good look at the outside of your home and make sure you’re not providing cover for thieves.
- If you have an alarm, make sure the bell box is clearly visible from the street.
- Installing security lighting over the front and back door is a cost effective way to improve security and will help you make you and your family feel safer when you return home at night.
- Never, ever leave a door key hidden under a plant pot by the front door! This is the first place thieves will look and a key safe provides a secure alternative.
Contact FirstEye for home security advice in Leeds
Here at FristEye we are specialists in providing cost effective security solutions for homeowners in Leeds. If you would like to find out more, or to obtain a free security survey, don’t hesitate to get in touch. Don’t forget to come back next week for advice on choosing the best security alarm for your home!